The Basilica di Santa Lucia al Sepolcro by the legend was built on the very site where Lucy was martyred in 304.
Being destructed because of earthquakes and the Arab attacks, the Church was restored several times in its history. The building of today conserved some features of the architecture of Normans, its first restorers. Since 1618 the Basilica has been under the care of Order of Friars Minor (known as Franciscans) of Syracuse.
Beside the Basilica there is a Chapel of the Tomb with a burial niche inside, where St Lucy was buried after her execution. The relics of the Saint were stolen and brought first to Constantinople, and then to Venice, where they rest until today. The Catacomb of St Lucia, which extends south-west of the Church, was an underground cemetery, where the persecuted Christians performed their rites and buried their dead.